Sunday, June 26, 2011

Music

In the fourth grade at the Eastland Elementary School, I began playing the clarinet in Beginning Band.  My director Mr. Clifford will never be forgotten (I have even seen him in recent years relaxing at Peaks-Kenny State Park).  What a saint!!  All those little munchkins squeaking or blatting or desperately snare-drumming a "tune" like "Hot Cross Buns" or "When the Saints Go Marching In"...and my poor parents:  four long years of each child playing that same tune "hot cross bunsss....hot cross bunsss...one-a-penny two-a-penny hot cross bunssss" argh!  How do you ever get that our of your head??!!??!!  My involvement in music continued up through high school including various bands and choruses.  I am so proud of the many groups I was in and the awards it all brought.  Plus it was great fun and I learned so much...so much more than just about music...teamwork, responsibility, confidence, multi-tasking, just to name a few.  (And just to note my teachers/directors:  Mrs. Helen Morin for many years of clarinet and piano lessons.  Mr. Lancaster started up a chorus program in Corinna Jr High.  Mr. Clifford was at the head of the Nokomis Music Program!  Stellar job by both!)

Life has taken me in other directions and other than in college - where I took a one credit voice class and a semester in the Orono public choir - I have focused on other things.  One of them being children's music.  Through my jobs with children and having my own, my radio has taken quite a break on my adult stations.  Over the last few years I have been making a point to get back to my music.  I enjoy many different kinds:  adult alternative, classical, dance, some country, celtic, and truly kids music can make my heart smile.  I wonder if some day I will get back to an instrument, maybe piano, my clarinet, or voice.  Time will tell.  For now, today Gratitude is that I have time to play some yahoo radio, sing along while I organize my house.  I may even stop to dance a bit!  :)  Music is Life.  Life is Music.  

1 comment:

  1. Great idea for a blog. I love the title. It would make a great poem title! :)

    ReplyDelete